Sunday, August 28, 2011

Artificial Food Preservatives:Nitrites/Nitrates and Sulfites






My #5 and #6 Ingredients to Avoid

   ARTIFICIAL FOOD PRESERVATIVES:

NITRITES/NITRATES & SULFITES

There are so many natural food preservatives in the world why did we need a lab to make more? 

Well, most of these lab created preservatives last longer on the shelf. Increasing the shelf life means less spoilage and less money lost. Some preservatives we see are just so a product looks better for the consumer to buy. Apparently us Americans can't handle a dried apricot that looks brown?!


Here's a list of artificial food preservatives: calcium propionate, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, sulfites (sulfur dioxide, sodium bisulfite, potassium hydrogen sulfite, etc.) and disodium EDTA.


You see these ingredients in deli meat, cured meat, hot dogs, bacon, condiments, sauces, fruits, wines and dried fruits and vegetables.


Like most lab created food items, there comes health risks. Some modern synthetic preservatives have become controversial because they have been shown to cause respiratory or other health problems. Some studies point to synthetic preservatives and artificial coloring agents aggravating ADD & ADHD symptoms in those affected.


Click here  for more info on why artificial preservatives are risky for your health. 


How do we avoid Artificial Preservatives?

For fruits and veggies go organic. Go to your local Farmers market, there they sell local organic produce cheaper than in your grocery store.

For deli meats there is Applegate Farms, Open Nature, and Hormel Natural selections. You can find applegate at trader joe's, whole foods, and co'ops. Open Nature is a safeway brand where you can find the deli meat in the meat dept. not the deli dept. Hormel you can find at most grocery stores.

For dried fruit go to Trader joe's, whole foods, farmers markets, and co'ops. 


So there you go! To recap my top 6 ingredients to avoid are:
#1 Unfermented Soy
#2 Hydrogonated Oils
#3 High Fructose Corn Syrup
#4 Arificial Sweeteners
#5 Nitrites/Nitrates
#6 Sulfites/ Artificial Preservatives

If you can avoid these things you will defiantly notice your better health and you might even find it easier to lose or maintain weight. 

Ever since I started to avoid it all, my immune system has become immensely better and I have noticed I can eat anything I want (food without ingredients from my top 6)  like french bread, pasta, cheese, hot dogs, bacon ect.. without gaining weight (granted I stop when I'm full) . In fact my tone has increased and I have dropped fat% easily without much exercise. 

So remember, always read your labels and know what you are putting into your body. 

Soon I will be blogging more about some other health tips and recipes. If you have a type of food  that you just can't find without my top 6, comment me and I'll try to find an all natural kind that can be found in a store near you:) 



No comments:

Post a Comment